Lal Salaam: Aishwarya Rajinikanth’s Masterclass with Superstar Rajinikanth
Aishwarya Rajinikanth: ‘Working with Appa in Lal Salaam Was a Masterclass’
In an exclusive interview with Hindustan Times, Aishwarya opens up about working with her father Rajinikanth and music composer AR Rahman in Lal Salaam.
Tamil Audience Eagerly Awaits Lal Salaam Release
The Tamil audience is excited for February 9th, when Lal Salaam, directed by Aishwarya Rajinikanth and featuring Superstar Rajinikanth, Vishnu Vishal, and Vikranth, hits theaters. This movie sees Rajinikanth play Moideen Bhai, and the recently released trailer has created a powerful buzz with high audience expectations.
Aishwarya Rajinikanth’s Eight-Year Break from Directing
Aishwarya Rajinikanth is helming this film after an eight-year break, produced by Lyca Productions and with music by Oscar winner AR Rahman. She is still at ease in the captain’s chair and directing the Superstar to boot. In this exclusive chat with HT, Aishwarya talks about working with her father, Lal Salaam, AR Rahman, and more.
Excerpts from Aishwarya Rajinikanth’s Interview
- Q: How was the experience directing your father, Superstar Rajinikanth, for Lal Salaam?
- A: Directing Appa (father) was something I never expected in my life … To put it shortly, every single day of working with him was a mini masterclass … His dedication, devotion, and seriousness about work … are something I think everyone in the industry should learn.
- Q: And how did it feel to be back on sets after nearly eight years? Your last film was Vai Raja Vai in 2015.
- A: Getting back on sets after eight years is like getting back together with an old friend … It feels like fish being in water – the difference being whether it’s about being in a fish tank or the ocean. That’s the way I see it. … Now, they can understand and be happy that I’m standing up as an individual and doing what I love to do.
- Q: Lal Salaam is a sports drama. What attracted you to this story?
- A: What attracted me was the genuineness of the content, the kind of message that the whole film conveys to society, and the emotions that the film carries throughout through various characters living through the film.
- Q: There are high expectations from this film. Are you nervous?
- A: Of course. I am happy to hear that there are a lot of expectations from the film. Living up to expectations is the challenge in life … I am nervous – I haven’t been able to eat or sleep. … But this is good pressure because I know people will love what we have made.
- Q: What is the key thing you want the audience to take away from Lal Salaam?
- A: The one thing that I would like the audience to take away when they walk out of the theater is the strong emotions portrayed by the characters in the film.
- Q: Finally, tell us about working with AR Rahman on the music for this film.
- A: It was an incredibly surreal experience. He’s as much a fun person as a fakir, I would say. There’s so much truth in him, and he stands by truth. He is an example of the power of living in the present. I learnt a lot from him through the film’s making. He has been a great support, both for the film and personally.
Dhanush Reacts to Ex-Wife Aishwarya Rajinikanth’s ‘Lal Salaam’ Trailer
Dhanush, Aishwarya’s ex-husband, praised the trailer of ‘Lal Salaam‘ and wrote on social media: “Lal Salaam trailer … Best wishes to the team. God bless. #superstar #thalaivar.” This display of mutual respect between the former couple is heartwarming.
Aishwarya Rajinikanth’s Upcoming Projects
Aishwarya Rajinikanth is set to deliver her next directorial after 9 years, and the expectations for ‘Lal Salaam‘ have peaked well after the trailer release. Vishnu Vishal and Vikanth play lead roles in the cricket drama, while the film has Rajinikanth playing an extended cameo. AR Rahman is scoring the music, and he excited the audience well through his background score for the trailer.